Thursday, September 25, 2014

Three Mugs | Day 266 of 365


Three special mugs of my grandfather's that grace my grandparents' mantle.
The first one is from their youngest son, bought during a family visit to the WWII Museum in New Orleans, Louisiana. My grandfather is a WWII vet.
The middle one was a gift from a member of that same son's church in Santiago, Chile, where my uncle is a missionary. The church member was part of an elite team that went on a scientific trip to Antarctica. Each team member received one of these limited, commemorative mugs. When my uncle's family was going to come back to the States for a visit, the man wanted to send a gift to my uncle's father, whom he has never met, but who he loves and respects through hearing my uncle speak of him. The man decided his commemorative mug was about as unique and distinguished a gift as he could send.
The third is an antique shaving mug. I believe it also was a gift, but I am ashamed to say I don't remember it's full story.

No comments:

Post a Comment